Pages

Sunday 15 April 2012

Miyako

I've lived in Tamana for a whole year, and Tamana is full of memories for me: When I walk its streets, the smells, trees and streets all have a soothing effect on me. However, Japan, for me, can be put up in one word.

Miyako.


The first time I went to her place, was in summer: I was told that there was a family in Omuta who wanted to experience what it is to have an exchange student, without having enough time on their hands to actually have one a full year. I was told they had a young daughter of 8 years old, and they all had lived a couple of years in France. They had an interest in French even if they could not really speak it.

I had been having a hard time in Japan for I did not speak japanese at all, only a few words, and that, after a few months already passed. It was hard for me, as the school had its summer vacation almost right after the start of the semester and so I had had no time to make friends before it, and was spending most of my days in my bedroom, since I felt like I was being a bother to my host family and their habits (my host parents were 60 and 61, and already had their little habits in life, not really seeming to enjoy having them disturbed by a too lively 17 years old French Canadian, curious about everything, and needing a clear explanation about everything to be contented. 

So ultimately, that summer I studied Japanese language with my books for the whole summer, straining my brain from the learn, so much that I'd sleep most of the day (wake up at 2-3 pm and sleeping at 6-7). Sleeping that much, I almost ate nothing and ended up losing 15 kilos in 3 weeks. 

I think AFS got worried, and looked for things for me to do. Maybe this is why they introduced me to Miyako and her family.

Newly constructed bridge around Omuta: it was not there when I did my student exchange

Being introduced to someone who did not know me at all, and knew nothing about the level of my poor japanese, they were the best opportunity for me to try to practice and get them to understand me, without any fear. Knowing them, gave me a start: I figured out I knew more than I thought and that maybe, I could DO things.

Having traveled a lot, Miyako's family was really eager to listen to my stories, that I was craving to tell, and told me theirs. Sometimes I think that it seems a bit unfair to my actual host family that I love with all my heart, but I connected much quicker with Miyako.

Kumamoto Castle!


So I stayed my first 4 days at their place <3



Right after we got out of the airport, we went to Kumamoto castle (the airport being in Kumamoto, we thought it would be more meaningful to actually go visit the castle as soon as we got there, before going to the ryokan, as going to the ryokan, we knew we'd just go sleep right away. It was a chilly day but really sunny, so we hanged around outside and it was great.


sight from the top of Kumamoto-castle. Last time I went, they were restoring a big part of the castle, so taking pictures was not really rewarding, but this time we got to visit everything. I don't know what the hell I made of the CD with the pictures we took from inside the building but they had awesome pieces of art inside. I just love japanese architecture. I want a castle-like house when I become rich :)


My brother does not like japanese tea much, but being in Japan, I tried my hardest along the way to get him to taste many kinds, so he would at least know what he is talking about when saying he likes or not this or that taste. The first time I made him try it was the very first day, at the Kumamoto castle, with this lovely grandma <3 Isn't she lovely?


My brother's first legit Matcha. 

He actually liked it somehow. What he does not like about japanese "green" teas, is the "pond-like" smell it has, as he would put it. Freshly made Matcha at the right temperature does not taste to much of that pond thingy...

I love Matcha.


The feeling of looking like crap as you look like a hobo, just getting out of the plane
and going to take a picture with yourself in it, while standing beside someone who
actually looks kind of cute.... FML (ps, look up closely: naruto lense ha ahahahhaah)

The second day we went to pick strawberries in a random nowhere in the country side, where I saw the most amazing way to grow strawberries, so you don't even have to bend to pick them. 





And you don't get dirty. 


I love Japan.



hm hm hm.... which one should I pick....?

After the strawberries, we went to a factory to make ramen! The place was meant for little kids to try and make their very own ramen, but as we were on a weekday, around graduation time there was no other people, so we were not - as I had feared - surrounded by kids, being tall and awkward :) Isn't life just perfectly well made?

Making ramen is cool.








I want to make some back here in Canada. Like, legit happy hand-made ramens


After a hard time's work, eating our first tonkatsu ramen, yay! Kumamoto's special <3



 Our last supper with the Hasuo (Miyako's family), was at a French style restaurant, owned by a lovely couple of japanese who stayed in France long enough to actually speak a really decent French. My brother had originally intended to make then uncomfortable by ordering in french, but was met with a perfect Paris accent answer.... ha ha ha, he's such a mean boi: well deserved!





This made my day 
My brother was told in Italy how to see the quality of ice cream:
Vanilla ice cream needs to be yellow
Lemon ice cream needs to be white
Banana ice cream needs to be grey
They had awesomely delicious banana ice cream there miam miam


0 comments:

Post a Comment