Pages

Tuesday 16 April 2013

Yongsan

U.S. Air Base in Yongsan


Last Wednesday was my coworker's husband's birthday so they got some rooms in Yongsan (near the Foreign clubbing/bar/chilling paradise) in the US Airbase, as it was cheaper than hotels around Itaewon, so we could go out and chill without caring about how to get back home. Stormy's husband being in the military, they usually have a 1AM curfew, but they had taken 2 days off duty to be able to chill as they wanted. 

They went there on Friday night, but as I went to the NGLOW dinner I decided to join only for the Saturday night. I had invited Heather and another friend to join, but in the end only Heather showed up.

So I wake up on Saturday morning, in the nice warm sunshine, and do my stuff, get ready to leave by 1PM. Heather tells me she will meet me at Seoul Station, since there is a direct bus from Dongtan going there in 40 minutes I can ride... so that's what we agree on.

I get out around 1:30 and go wait at the bus stop.

At 2, the bus comes.... and passes through without stopping... Having been waiting for half an hour wearing heels and a heavy bag - with stuff for the hotel - I am quite pissed. I ask someone why the bus didn't stop and they tell me they don't know: I should just wait for the next one. Which thing I do. at 2:30 I get pissed. Freaking bus not coming. And I am pissed because it is actually hot to wait in the sun in an empty stomach, when I need to go to the bathroom.

I decide to take a stupid bus to go to Byeongjeom station (the closest subway station) since the stop is also at the same place. I get on the bus and I wait.... and wait... and wait... and think that the place does not look familiar. I was on the right bus, mind you. Just took it on the wrong side of the street so a charming lady brought me into the countryside... took her 15 minutes break before going towards Byeongjeom station at last. I was SO FRIGGIN PISSED. 

Whatever. I just get on the subway and wait. There was no need to change line, that was at least one good thing, and I did have a seat. I suppose it could have been worse.


With all the delays, Heather had to wait a long time in Yongsan - we ended up having to go to Yongsan in the end, one station down Seoul Station - but I finally got there at last. With a stupid headache.
The view as we got out of Yongsan station... pretty neat eh?

We get in Yongsan and Stormy tells us to take a cab to Gate 1 of the Air Base. I am used to take taxis in Korea and never really have any problems with them since I tell them where I want to go in Korean. I had literally no clue how you say Yongsan US Air Base Gate one in Korean so I was a bit uneasy to take a cab, but she did not know how to get around in Yongsan so could not help me in any way... I only had to hope. 

Waiting in line for a cab...
Having had a pretty bad start that day, I was hoping that it'd go smoothly. Heather and I get in line at the taxi stop and when we get our turn, the "placing guy" (there were two guys putting people in cabs in a similar way as the guys getting your cars in hotels, except it was to take a cab, and not our car :P) knew what I meant when I said Gate 1, but the cab driver didn't, and he didn't give a crap. He did not want to look for it and was being an asshole. The placing guy however refused to have us change cabs, because it would look bad for his "business", so we took off. 

Dragon Hill Hotel 
The stupid cab made a super big detour to bring us on the middle of nowhere, quite far from where we wanted to go. I tried to get in touch with Stormy but was unable to explain where I was, and as they did not know anything about Yongsan either, we were pretty much lost. I took another freaking cab and we finally got to the gate, after walking around stupidly with my heavy luggage, Heather and her little red bagpack. 



I met up with Heather and Nitch (the other girl that was supposed to join us) and we went to register at the gate to get in the base... but Nitch did not have her passport nor her ARC so she couldn't get in in the end. I told her she should go get it and come back, as it was not so late and we would go out much later anyways, but she was lazy and didn't T__T

Stormy and her hubby cheking in

I had a reverse culture shock. 



Even the room had an intense "Western" feel to it. All the plugs were North
American ones, so I basically got screwed up, not being able to charge my phone...
The US base was basically what I like to call The United States of Korea.

That evening was fun, we chilled with Stormy her husband, one Korean-American lady they knew and a couple of their guy friends. It was like going out in the States (though I have never been, it felt like it would've been like that... had I gone), with white people everywhere, country bars, pool places skanky white girls walking up the streets in Itaewon and beer drunk like water, as people chat about nothing and everything. No games, just chilling. 

Stalking Heather...

I am used to drinking with Asians, so this was quite the cultural shock, again, even though I had expected it to be like that. It is always weird to be in Asia and to feel like you are not anymore. Oh well :P
If I ever get to return to the base, I will know what to tell the cab eh eh... that was
on our Hotel Card. I wish I had had it before. It is so frustrating not to know how to
say things when you do speak a language, and it makes you look as if you didn't...


En fait, je pense que ce qui est le point le plus important de cette sortie c'est la conclusion: C'est VRAIMENT weird de hangout avec des États-Uniens, quand tu passes le plus clair de ton temps à t'en moquer...

Mon plus gros shock culturel ça a été avec cette gang là. À Sanbon j'ai travaillé avec des gens des États-Unis et ils étaient tous des personnes charmantes avec lesquelles j'avais beaucoup d'affinités: ça à même fini par me faire me dire que finalement, les gens des États-Unis n'ont peut-être pas tant de différences culturelles avec les gens du Canada... eh bien, je me le suis fait renvoyé au visage: Cette gang la est une gang bein le fun pour faire la fête, mais mon dieu, qu'ils sont le portrait craché de l'états-unien typique...

Oh well XD 

0 comments:

Post a Comment