Pages

Friday 26 April 2013

NGLOW Second outing - Ttonatta Farm

Kinder Schule 



NGLOWKids opened up only a few months ago, the third of it's kind, in a building that had had a daycare center/english school that had not worked out. Kinder Schule. I suppose they were using a curriculum that had been made in Germany, otherwise I can't see where the name comes from. Well yesterday I had 2 hours of break at work and I did not like not to do anything so I went in the storage room to do some cleaning up... Thing is, when NGLOW came in, they basically shoved everything the previous school had used in 2 big rooms and a storage place. Everyday I'd been searching through the piles and finding treasures to use in my classroom: either games that were really interesting to adapt to my classes or just material to make crafts and the like with my kids. I went in the small storage room yesterday and did some tidying up. Found nice craft material and put them away in categories. I threw away a lot of random broken decorations and banners of the previous school, filling up 3 100l. trash bags. I found uniforms. Like, never worn still in plastic bags. As in. Damn it, why am I not a kid right now kind of cute old style uniforms. They were not going to keep them so I was told I could take as many as I wanted. I took some for my niece. I actually don't know if she'll ever wear them and love them as much as I do, and wish I could wear them, but I'll send them to her anyways. A lovely white shirt with red threading at the collar, a gray dress with the folded skirt piece, a dark red cardigan/sweater and a pink princess looking summer dress. I think she'll like the pink dress only... whatever ha ha I will still try.

So among those treasures, I found a had to go with the uniforms. A straw hat. We were going to go on a farm the next day so everyone joked around, telling me I should just wear the hat to go, not really expecting I would.


But I did. 


People always think I am kidding.

I seldom am.


Welcome to TTonatta Farm






Our school's vice principal Eileen. Isn't she beautiful?



We were supposed to be making faces... but that picture was an in-between shots. Lovely?
I think so too....


As we got there, the weather - nice and sunny - felt colder than in Dongtan when I walked to work, since there was a lot of wind. We started off making  soft ice cream with milk. I never knew it was so easy. You just need to have a small quantity of milk in a big bowl with ice under and whip the milk until it freezes in a creamy fluffy way. It was really tasty. We tried adding strawberry and chocolate flavour.





Gosh the cows were so cute. We saw cows of all ages. New born ones, young ones, huge mommy cows and old grannies. I loves the not-yet-a-month-old ones. They were all white and clean without the dirt that sticks to their coat as they get older, with huge shiny eyes.



After the ice cream, we went to see the young calves and the kids gave them milk. I found the idea of giving milk to cows weird as we walked in the barn, but realized they were not intending for us to feed cows, but baby ones. That made more sense. As soon as we got inside, the calfs got crazy. Rolling eyes, mooing like crazy and sticking their tongues out: they knew they were getting food. I took a couple of just-at-the-right-moment pictures.









We went to have lunch on mats, sitting in the sun with the kids and eating onigiri (I write onigiri although the Korean term would be gimbab, since they were japanese style riceballs...) and fruits. That was nice to just sit there, with the good energy the kids were giving us. Like a kid lovin's battery recharge to kill all the bad vibes of the day. I love those kids.

We then went on a tractor ride (that had a trailer at the back with seats) with everyone and it was really fun, we rode on the countryside roads and the driver made us go back and forth in hills and bumps, making the ride feel like a weird roller coaster. 

The last thing we did before going back was to have the kids try milking the cows - tho really, the guy was doing the milking and the kids were basically just poking the tip. The guy was cute and I made jokes with the other foreign teacher about how he played with the cow's titties... is that childish? Yup. Should I care? Nope. Why would I write it here otherwise :3









0 comments:

Post a Comment