Pages

Sunday 26 October 2014

Hanbok March


So yah, we had our fun outing wearing hanbok, around the fun Insadong, Jeongmyo shrine... we had had plans to visit namsangol hanok village on that day, but time flew by and as we took it easy and went at a really slow pace (hanbok helping) we figured we'd have other times to visit the traditional village. I was really curious about that place because it's a very popular filming set for traditional Korean dramas.


...and the next week, my friend shows us that there is this guy who opened a facebook group
mentioning that he was redoing the Hanbok March event. It's a pretty much self-explanatory term. You put on a hanbok, and you walk around. In this case, you walk around Namsangol. What a perfect opportunity. I had wanted to wear my hanbok again, but hadn's expected to do so so soon. But that was a perfect opportunity. I however was sort of reluctant to go at first because I'm kind of racist when I'm in Asia. I'll explain.


I know there are tons of amazing foreigners in Korea. If you want to travel to Korea, there must be something amazing about you. But I came here because I wanted to speak Korean in my day-to-day, hang out with and make new Korean friends. I wanted to experience the culture and visit places only visited by natives. See the world. 
That's why I'm never the first to say yes when I'm invited to an expats meeting or party. I just feel out of place. Nothing personal. I like to say I'm racist because of that. I include myself when I say meh, those foreigners.

 Apparently, the preious time he had done the Hanbok March, he had spent a lot of time advertising the event and there ad been tons of people who showed up. This time, it had been a rather spontaneous event popping up, and we were onle 15 ish. It was great to hang out in the sunny weather, walking along the trees and sitting on nice benches and rest areas. There was a French couple (man French, woman Korean) with their cute kids that joined up. This time, I went with Alyssa (my friend from when I worked at A-Class) but Caitlin didn't make it. 


I had been waiting for the hair accessories I have ordered from that lady ( whose Korean name is the same as mine "Yoonha") because they were supposed to come that day, but they came the next day so there was nothing to be done. I've been looking forward to wear them since that day. The plan is to have another Hanbok day very soon, most probably the second weekend of November, on Sunday.

 Anyways.

Back to the event. The March is a walking chilling day without stressful schedule, and they were filming part of it to make a video. 



What I didn't know, was that the guy who organized this march  - Michael Aronson -  was actually a quite famous youtube video guy, who got famous mainly with his Seoul Metro Song video - that, while being old, is still the next best thing. 

Watch it!



 Among the people who showed up, a young Korean couple showed up and the guy was wearing a mint dooroomagi (long Korean traditional man jacket) which, no one ever wears normally because the amount of fabric required makes it super duper expensive. That, and men are not bin on wearing costumes that make life uncomfortable, so they usuall go for the comfier pants shirt combination. That's really too bad. There is nothing nearly as hot as a good looking man wearing a traditional costume.
There was also a man who had a really good camera who took many pictures of people there. I took mine from his website but he doesn't like to put them on facebook, given that facebook takes the ownership of it. Stupid.




0 comments:

Post a Comment