Pages

Monday 7 October 2013

YANKEE Candle Café


Right by the corner of my place, actually the corner of the block across the street from my apartment, I had been watching with curious eyes, as they were setting up a new store. I love that in Asia, there are tons of new little stores, coffee shops and restaurants that just pop up out of nowhere, without prior notice. I think Asia is a bit like that in general. I noticed that about school stuff as well (which is not as cool... think of without-notice changes in schedule and proportional prep time........) 

In any case, I am straying away...

I'd been wondering what we'd be getting next, as it could just as well be an amazing new clothe store, or a boring phone shop. Turns out that it was a store of the American chain "Yankee Candle", of which I had never heard of. Actually, to be honest, I'll probably have to look up to see whether if it's actually a chain from the states, or if it's just the name. In any case, I have seen that store in Gangnam so I know there are at least two stores with that name, selling this type of candles.

The candles they sell are massive religious-looking candles, that, while they do have a thread in the middle, are not meant to be burnt. They sell the candles with a stand that has a warm light inside, that makes the candle melt slowly without the threat of fire taking over when you forget it lit up. I guess this is a clever idea considering that there are many families around. The melting of the candle gives the same fragrant effect as when the candle is lit up with fire and it also gets to melt evenly.

After a while, the wax naturally loses its smell so you just need to empty the glass recipient holding it. 
** MESS WARNING! **

My coworker Stormy came to school with one of those candles one day, that's why I got to know so much about them. They really work well, and the smell of the wax is not too intense so I don't get any headache with it.

Stormy found her haven in that store, for the smell of the kitchen (the kitchen is right by her classroom so whatever is cooked that day gets in her room) almost disappeared completely after she started using it. So much for useless free-breeze...


If the title didn't sell it out already, I am obviously going to introduce some sot of coffee shop, again. Why? Because I can. And also, because it's the discovery of the year. Thing is, I noticed that at the back of the store there is a half-story leading up to a coffee shop. Right in the shop. I do not know if they sell a lot of coffee, or if it makes a difference in their income, but I am really happy they had that coffee place set up. Monday to Saturday from 10AM - 12AM, that's just perfect for me to bring my laptop and write my blog when I don't want to be home, cuz let's face it, coffee shops are much nicer (the only thing that's sad so far, is that half the times I've been so far, there were a couple of mothers and they amazingly noisy kids hanging out in the store). 



The store has a door that leads to the building's toilets without having to go outside, which is rare (unless they have their own toilet). 
The walls are painted mint green (SUUUUCH a pretty and peaceful colour, I love it).
The Coffee.

Their coffee is amazing. I think it's my favourite coffee shop in Dongtan so far. The barista takes his time for each coffee he makes and always gives me a free one when I stay there for a long time and there's no one else in the store. 

I like that it's so close to home. 



0 comments:

Post a Comment