Pages

Tuesday 6 December 2011

Toronto and JLPT


Beginning of December brought on me pretty busy and stressing times, with a Japanese Language Proficiency Test right on december 4th, that I had to take in Toronto. I took some days off of work to go there by bus - plan was out of the question, it is ridiculous how much money it costs to travel from my hometown to Montreal, just as much as a two-way ticket to France - so I had a pretty 12 hours back and 12 hours forth bus ride to look forward. Happiness. As I cannot really read or concentrate in a car, gives me headaches most of the time, I did not really look forward to studying for the exam while on the way, but that was the plan. I had had no time to study for my exam at ALL so I had to try at least while on the way. It is hard to figure out what to study, so I pretty much lazed out in the bus, faking study... ha ha I am a lazy bum. 
The bus was not really full, so I sat in the very back, where, luckily for me, there were three side by side seats, on which I just lied down like a bed, with my pillow and my blanket. That was sweet.... but God, the ride was long and boring. After a while, it becomes quite annoying to lie down and wait...


North Bay Bus Station
North Bay was much warmer than my hometown - by maybe 5 degrees - and I bought myself a coffee and studied for 2 hours, while waiting for my transfer to Toronto. It was boring time, but it was the beginning of the trip so whatever, I had to deal with my stress getting worse and worse as time passed and the exam drew nearer. There  were pretty decorations of Christmas everywhere, with flowers and window paintings of "Season's Greetings" all around, and it made me happy. I like Winter and Christmas time, because everything is pretty, but even more so in English Speaking areas. Why? Because they care more about making things pretty. I don't know why, but French Xmas decoration never held anything inspiring to me when compared to English ones. Always like that. We have to give them' English people the praise they deserve. Here. Said.

Christmas Tree in the bus Station

 I got in Toronto around 9h45PM and on the way to my Hostel, I saw a Ramen Shop, and hungry as hell, I decided to go before cheking-in. Good idea. They closed the shop 5 minutes after I entered, so had I gone to the Hostel at first I would have gone hungry. Love my instincts sometimes...
The ramen was awesome, but then, being famished, everything would have been. Can't compare to Japanese ramen. Staff was mainly Korean, but did not take time to try any of my Korean, as I was too worried I'd mix things up with my Japanese exam coming up. I took a beer. The waitress found me weird ordering that, as I was on my own a Saturday night. I needed one, That was pure bliss. I did not give a damn about her. I remember trying to understand the conversation of a chinese couple beside me; they were switching back and forth with canto and mandarin, so I failed, but was good to stop thinking about Japanese Exam and stress.

RAMEN <3
 The Hostel was nicer than I thought, and really downtown - far from the exam place, but afterwards, I hoped I'd get to shop around and go to sleep early, so I liked the place. I loved the view from my bedroom, and the nice church right in front of the building. There were funny things written at the back of the room door, dunno if it's readable... things about horse carriages...ha ha ha



Church in front of the Hostel, morning before the exam


View from my room window, cannot remember if it was morning of night...

With the room, came meal vouchers I could use in their 'Cave Coffee', a sweet place in the basement where they had basic food for free. I had two vouchers, ended up taking a breakfast before the exam, and a meal before going to bed. Pictures can't render the looks of the place with much accuracy, but it was lovely.




 
Morning Tea, with white bucket to put the teabag <3

Cereals, fruits and Yogurt, quite decent Breakfast to have for free.

Decorations in Eaton Center - so pretty!!! I love Xmas

 The exam was probably the hardest shit I ever did in my entire life. I have literally no clue how it went. Sucks if I don't pass it, since I ended up paying $200 for the bus ticket - plus the horribly long amount of time in the comfy-less bus - $200 for the hostel and $70 to take the actual exam. I will not have the results before March however, so no need to stress on it right now. Useless stress is to be rid of. If I ever have to retake it, at least I will know what to expect. I focused way too much on how to write/remember characters, and that was useless. Was a A,B,C,D exam, no need to write anything. I needed to know the 1,000 different ways to pronounce words however, and a general deep understanding of Japanese idioms, spoken language and written language. FML.

 
I found my luck charm for taking exams right after I came back home, I'll keep it on me when I open the result letter...

Winter Pic <3 <3 <3


0 comments:

Post a Comment