Pages

Monday 10 September 2012

내 세상...


These are the landscapes I see everyday in nice weather when I walk to my workplace. I don't think I envy others for what they have, at least on this point. You see, my hometown has 45K inhabitants, so it is not such a small town, but we have a big lake right in the middle. Originally, Rouyn and Noranda were two different 'town', the high town, with all immigrant workers all getting high salaries from the copper mining industry (Noranda) the whole place was pretty much owned by te mining company; and you had the low town (Rouyn), where people just built their houses as they pleases, all over the place, people with no direct link to the mining company. This explains why the streets are so clean-cut in Noranda and quite randomly built in Rouyn. Both towns were separated by the Osisko Lake (meaning muskrat in Algonquin language). Later on, the two towns were united and Rouyn-Noranda was born, still physically separated by the lake. I grew up in the Rouyn part of the town, and the restaurant I work at is in Noranda, so I walk by the promenade beside the lake everyday to go work. It is quite peaceful to have a lake right in the middle of a town.


 The 5 tower fountain, also beside the lake on my way to work, was built for the first Canadian Olympics by the town, at night it lits with color-changing lights, since Rouyn-Noranda's 75th anniversary, so day or night, it is a nice place to hang out at. 




Rouyn-Noranda's hospital is also by the lake, and they have a big parc for long term patients and family to go chill at. I think the location was well thought.

0 comments:

Post a Comment