Pages

Saturday 8 September 2012

Juicy Fruit

As a kid, I was always chewing gum. There was a time I would pierce a tiny hole into a raw (?) coffee bean and take hours of my time making coffee bean necklaces to sell them $10 at a coffee shop near my place, and all the money I made went into buying chewing gum. There was a time, when Spice Girls were really popular, where they had stickers inside a bright pink bubble gum, and I bought so many of them that I think I must have had the whole 50 sticker collections in triple at least. 

I was also prone to insanely intense headaches that could last for days, making me unable to do anything at all, needing to lie down for days at a time and miss everything that was going on. I thought of myself really weak and lame, seeing that noone actually had the same problem as me. Well nobody chewed as much chewing gum as I did, and I later learnt that the two we in fact, linked. Chewing gum puts an enormous pressure on your maxillary muscles and thus increase the probability of having a headache. My intense chewing had an impact on this a great deal. 

Without knowing that chewing gum was the reason of my headaches, I stopped chewing nonetheless, around the time I finished high school: I got sick of having always that sweet taste in my mouth and even now, I get sick of gum when I have it for more than 15 minutes. Anyways, since that time, my headaches are next to absent from my daily life, save when I lack water or caffeine...


Tonight at my job, at the end of the first half, I started smelling a scent that was very nostalgic to me: Juicy Fruit. I was pretty sure of the smell, but as I did not see why people would be chewing on that, I figured I might just be really tired and smelling random imaginary smells. Afterall, while Juicy Fruit had in fact been really popular in my youth, we mostly don't se it - smell it anyways - anywhere anymore. Turns out I was right. They were chewing Juicy Fruit, probably to take the bad breath away from smoking outside. I chitchatted with them and told them about the fact that this very smell was nostalgic to me and all. Ant they left me the rest of the pack (there were 4 gums left in it) on the table with my tips. This made my day. 

Sometimes, very simple things can bring you happiness. 

I love those days.

0 comments:

Post a Comment