Pages

Wednesday 18 January 2012

January Shopping

The other day I had an awesome dessert <3 My aunty made some hm.... how would I call this. It's like a pickled apple recipe, save that it's a bit like apple jelly... but with whole baby apples. Basically it's got nothing to do with pickles. Save the fact they're put in similar pots. Oh well. 

We had those with Coaticook's maple ice cream - a delightful ice cream, one of the only brand of ice cream we can buy that is actually made with 'milk' and 'cream' instead of powdered milk and water (IMO, we are stupid to make ice cream with the transformed product of the milk we sell to the US, and that they sell it back to us in powder, for cheaper: I mean, where's the logic in that? I don't blame the US for this, especially if Canadian companies are too stupid to take advantage of our rich milk production right here in our own country... really, some tings really don't make sense).
The mix of sweetened apples with the maple ice cream was quite too sweet, so we ate it with a delicious old cheddar. Really, people should all know about the bliss of mixing sweet and salty things. Not trying it is, IMO, missing out on an important blissful pleasure of the senses.



My boss is, with two other people, starting to build a food catering (?) - I'll need some feed-back on this term, I do not know if this one is accurate. It is basically what we call "Traiteur d'alimentation" in French, meaning we provide prepared meals to events and special occasions. We had a very busy Christmas time at Bistro Jezz, so the preparation took long enough to put itself together, but now the restaurant has its own food catering cart, with images of the awesomeness of our food on it. It's all shiny and really well made - refrigerated compartments, drawers and very easy to use to transport the various plates 


 I love how much energy my boss has, putting in place all sorts of projects. She is full of ideas and I respect her straightforwardness - is that a word? Anyways. I am happy of all the things she brings to my hometown, we really had a need for this kind of business. Plus, the food she makes is pure bliss. Do I use this word too much?


My mother and I are still waiting for the missing material we need to make frills, so while waiting for a call from the store we put together a piece of cork to practice basic points and get aquainted with the concept of working with those small bobbins. It's interesting how you pin up the thread all along the work. I still cannot picture how to use these to make flowers, fruits, and detailes frills, but I feel like I am on the right way teh he...



Talking about warm drinks I'll talk about coffee. Coffee is a monster. Coffee will, in time rule the world, I am sure. Coffee is probably worse than most drugs and addictions, for it is a recognized 'necessary good', and people don't see it as what it really is: a monster. 
Try not to take coffee for a day when you are used to drinking it everyday. You know what I mean. You know, that stupid headache you don't know where it's from? Yeah, exactly. Get my drift? 

Coffee is evil. 

Now that we are clear on this point... I went to have a cappuccino with my mommy this afternoon at a bakery close to my place. In the cold weather, the bakery was a good compromise between the really close Abstracto - where I think there is not enough light to go during the day - and the Chocolaterie le Gisement - much farther away, and full of too sweet stuff for the line :P. So we went to have a coffee, bringing a book, but in the end we just talked and the reading period that was planned did not happen. There will be other times.

La Pâtisserie Saint-Honoré has been open here for quite some time now, and it has awesome fresh breads and cute small cake, plus a variety of sweet delicacies and home-made jams. The owner of the bakery, a French guy from Alsace, earned the title of 'Sir' from the French Embassy last fall, for the extent of his work here and what he brought from his country to Quebec.


I love the colors of the Bakery/restaurant - here is a little screenshot of the place, sadly enough,
they did not have many cakes in the display today, as they don't make too many of them in advance

I went to do some shopping today, to look for small gifts to send to some friends living away from here - like, everyone I know, basically - but whose birthday are close, or who I'd told I'd send them gifts for Xmas and the like. I stopped at a kid toy shop I love particularly, owned my a friend of my brother. I am a big baby basically. But there is this one brand of dolls that I love, that has scented dolls, with different ethnicities - they even have read-heads :3... I think they did not need to... ha ha, but that must be why they got so many prices: they show love where other people show hatred :). I love the middle one <3 so cuuuuute the baby asian :)


So here is my accomplishment of the day! I put all the things together and will go post them tomorrow. I still have to Xmas cards to answer as well. But my mom has some as well so I'll write them when she does, so we can have tea together at the same time. Me loves spending time with mommy. Right now she is putting up wallpaper upstairs in the room beside my bedroom with my daddy. I'll take some pictures when we finish it and put the decoration altogether.


0 comments:

Post a Comment