Pages

Monday 30 January 2012

LinoHandMade

When I was young, my friend's mother had a little store - actually I cannot remember well the place, so I am still unsure whether if it was her house that had many things she made on sale, or an actual store so I apologize if I end up lying without knowing - where she sold tons of really pretty things that she hand made herself. It would go from simple knitted stuff to complicated house decorations made of different material. Being one that likes hand made detailed stuff, seeing the things she made always made me very happy. One day she stopped her store however, probably because while looking at nicely done hand made stuff, the price to pay for all those hours of work is often high enough so that in the end there are not enough buyers in a small town to keep a business like this.
I lost sight of my childhood friend for some ten years after this, so I don't really know what her mother had been up to meanwhile, but when I got in touch with her again, her mother mostly did seasonal hand work: some knit work in the winter and some hand made stuff in the summer, mostly as a hobby.

In the last years however, she started selling on ETSY. What started with the making of handbags, makeup pouches and wallets turned into crochet work key holders, knitted work and now fine jewelry. I really like her work a lot and whenever I have a crush on one of them I buy it from her. I did so with a hand knit neck warmer earlier this year, and last week I got a pair of earrings.




My childhood friend and I met up last week to grab breakfast in a restaurant and she brought me the earrings - instead of having to wait after the mail :P. The things her mother makes are always made with such care and even the wrapping is really pretty. I strongly encourage you guys to go see her work and let yourself be tempted if something in there gets your attention!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/Linohandmade




There is a place in my hometown, a place we call "La Ressourcerie", where everyone can bring stuff they don't use anymore. Anything, I mean anything, is fine. Upon receiving the used stuff, the place picks out what is still fine and usable, cleans or restore it to the best they can, and sell them at really really cheap prices. This place is technically meant to be used by people without much money, but is open to anyone. When I left for Montreal for University, I got all my kitchen ware from there. I got a pretty white/cream set with light green and brown stripes. The wholes set included some 9 cups, 4-5 small plates, 8 large plates, 10 bowls all in good shape. All this for $11.

While most of the stuff they have is quite old, me and my mother really enjoy going there in the hope of finding some cute treasure. The other day, my mom brought back a baby size white wicker rocking chair matching the desk and chair I have in my bedroom and when I came back from work, I found out that my huge teddy bear now had a seat - I might upload a picture of the chair sometime later...

Last Wednesday thus, I found a really pretty milk holder in japanese porcelain with a very detailes drawing on the side and golden lines. Isn't it really pretty? I just love finding this kind of little surprise. It was $1 for the set with the little plate.



On our way back from the Ressourcerie, my mother and I stopped by a bookstore and I bought a book by Christian Dior. While I am biaised by all that concerns brands I like, what attracted me first was the book itself, an old style fabric covered neat grey book with a mirror and a bow engraved in silver color. I read a couple of lines and I was seduced by the author's pen: simple, straight forward with a knack of sarcasm. While the books is by no means great literature, it picked my curiosity so I got it, regardless if the price, that I judge a bit expensive for a non-translated work (about $40). When I am done I might do a review on it if it is worth it...


 While Christmas is over since a while already, we never had the time to open our new year surprise socks. Yesterday, after a supper with my brother and his little family, we all got our gifts and mine was a very detailed pretty Camée, in delicate pink tones and gold casting. It can either turn into a brooch, by folding the chain loop down, or into a pendant. I love it so much!!!!

 


0 comments:

Post a Comment