Pages

Sunday 30 March 2014

Moving in Korea - Take 4

I don't know for others, but Korea for me has been a year of moving around. Thinking about it, I have moved 4 times in a year. Sometimes within the same vicinity, sometimes to change completely my surroundings. As I am not a person that like to explore on my own unless I have no obligation at all regarding time or money (if I have absolutely nothing to do on a great sunny day, enough money to pay for a cab if I am lost, a bag that is not too heavy to carry around then ok)....

Says the girl who decided to move to Korea on her own?

Yup. I love seeing myself as a person full of contradictions...

When I re-signed my contract with NGLOWkids, I was glad I wouldn't have to go through another moving spree, so I finally bought two big pieces of furniture: a bookshelf and a coat hanger with a bag compartment at the bottom. Well thet ended up being an extra thing to worry about in moving this time. People always get surprised at how much stuff I end up gathering. Thing is I am slightly OCD when it concerns my living space. It needs to be clean and neat, and practical. 

So even in the smallest apartment, I will find the perfect place to put everything to that it looks clean at all times. Moving however, puts me in the distressing situation where I have to find a new meaning and a new place for every single thing I own. I also am the kind who tries to keep a maximum of things to make crafts and stuff when I wrap gifts and write letters, so I end up with an incredible amount of what I simply call "stuff". People usually disregard "stuff" as being an insignificant detail, but I see it otherwise. When I say I have lots of stuff. I mean I have lots of stuff. When I mean that moving everything with only a SUV will require amazing Tetris skills, I mean it. People should not underestimate the amount of work it requires for me to move. Even from a tiny-ass apartment that looked perfectly clean when everything was set in place.

My ladies ready to go.



My ladies, in their temporary spot on the bookshelf





Making my place into what I want it to be will be a whole process including me buying a couple of sticky hooks to hang things around and a lot of scrubbing, but I know the place will look great eventually, as the frame of the apartment already looks quite nice.
That's a quick overview of the place with stuff less scattered over the floor than on the first day. I got a bad cold with fever on my first night in Guro, and have been pretty knocked down since, but I suppose I am lucky it's the weekend. The weather would have been great to walk around and explore the place but I will have other days...




I walk past the demon's door whenever I go in or out of my apartment. Why does this door intrigues me so? Is there a handsome demon/vampire that lives there? While I am curious, I hope I will never get to meet the owner of this place, because it is much more fun to imagine who could be there than be disappointed my reality.



My building is situated in an area that has lots of buildings giving an "industrial era" feel, with lots of red bricks and traffic. While it looks creepy at night, I like the look by day, it is full of small parks and now all the cherry trees are in bloom in most of the small streets I walked by.


Me walking around with my macbook, trying to find an open coffee shop around the area, that is open on a Sunday. I failed my mission, all that was open were chain coffee shops and I ended up entering into a "Coffee Mama" that had decent tasting coffee but nothing more. I hope I'll find nice coffee shops around, otherwise I'll be missing Dongtan's proximity to amazing small stores and coffee shops...



For those who thought Christianity was not glamour in 2014. Here is a little to ponder about in your free time...

0 comments:

Post a Comment